Bringing training in-house
At Walter Dawson we can advise on many aspects of business life. Here are some suggestions for cost-effective staff training...
Employers these days are bombarded with invitations to send employees on external training courses for anything from standard office software to project management skills.
Although ongoing training is highly beneficial for your business and for staff members individually, often businesses find there are drawbacks to external courses:
- They are sometimes too generic with a one-size-fits-all approach that does not go into crucial detail
- The cost, especially when travel and other expenses are included, can be significant
- The employee will be away from their post for at least a day, which makes covering for them difficult and perhaps expensive.
An affordable alternative
One alternative is to bring the training in-house.
Experienced staff familiar with the software, for example, train those new to it. They devise courses specific to the needs of the trainees, and these courses are given in-house at times that suit all concerned.
If you think about it this makes perfect sense:
- The expertise already in-house is recycled
- The training focuses on specific needs
- There is less disruption to staff schedules
- There are dramatic savings in cost.
If you are looking for help and advice from a team of professional accountants and business advisers, contact Walter Dawson.